Wednesday 8 August 2007

Plot is looking a little sparse but there is plenty growing. Carrots are showing nicely in the bed and the turnips are also growing well.

My son planted the sunflower on the right a couple of months ago and I cant even touch the top of it now.

Weeds are coming in from the plot next to me which is annoying, the council say the plots are all let but I dont believe them as many are untended. Apparently if they are left like this they will be let again but they aren't even mowing them regularly anymore.

My sprouts are ready for picking which is a bit wierd, well the ones at the bottom anyway. Picture here shows they are a nice size. I picked a few to try but will leave the rest til later in the year, unless the birds take a fancy to them.


Kale shown here is growing well now, although at every visit I'm
picking loads of cabbage white eggs of them and they are not covered. I may need to cover them if this keeps happening as it's very tiresome. Slugs have had a feed too, pests are everywhere.







Savoys are growing fast next to my main crop carrots here, which are ready for eating now, in fact tried a few they are Autumn King and taste very nice. Some pretty strange shapes though as my ground is very stoney.







Picked a bagful of runner beans today, some of which I had for tea and the others I have put in the freezer. Really going to have a big harvest from these.


This is a pic looking back from the runner beans. As you can see there is some spare ground between the Kale and the carrots. There is some Perpetual Spinach growing there and there will soon be 2 rows of Bright Yellow chard which I've set at home in the greenhouse. I also have around 50 Spring Cabbage to put in which are also at home so the space wont be empty for long. Just past the Kale you can see my Swede's which are a bit of a mess, the weeds are really surrounding then and I need to let them grow a bit before I can weed properly. The broccoli is lovely I've had shed loads from it already and still growing like mad.


This believe it or not is the floor of my shed. There are about 140 onions, doesn't half smell ! I will be stringing these when they have dried out completely.









Picture here of the veg I harvested for tea, missing the carrots that I also had. Didn't eat all the beans though, froze lots.









Quick picture of the pond, Dad divided some of his pond plants and gave me some to put in, will hopefully grow nicely next year for the frogs, because at the moment I've not seend one.








OK, below is at home....


These are my two Chili plants, on the left Hungarian Hot Wax and on the right the hot ones - Apache.


Cant wait to get cooking with these but not quite ready yet.









This is one of my Cherry Tomato plants at home, loaded with trusses of tomato's but as yet not one has ripened.

No comments: