Wednesday 22 August 2007

Well I took delivery of a trailer load of horse manure yesterday and she wanted the trailer back before the weekend so had to shift it from the trailer to the end of the plot. The end being the other end from trailer. Luckily my son came and helped, against his wished but he helped nonetheless.

This is the trailer that was full and below is a rather disgusted Alex

stood next to the deposits.... Mind you, I loaded most and shifted via the wheelbarrow, my arms do ache..













So what did we do today....

We weeded endlessly, we checked out the growth in the pond, following the plants my parents gave us, which are now starting to grow nicely, there isn't much sign of life. I'll get some spawn next year but for now, nothing.

Thinned the turnips for the second time, these are growing really fast which is good, look forward to using them in some stews and casseroles. Dont like them roasted, too strong.

The last carrot sowings have not germinated at all well, not yet at least. Weeds may have strangled some seedlings as they are growing strongly in that bed.

Showed Alex how to harvest runner beans. I picked one and then said "ok over to you". He then picked about 10 more and said "ok thats it, there are no more". Of course we gardeners know better so I took him around again. By then end of it we had a carrier bag full of fully grown beans.

Then showed him how to harvest broccoli and I thought the idea of using my penknife may have given him cause for excitement, but by then he had had enough so I did it myself and we called it a day.

Took the runners and broccoli and donated to my neighbours who love their veg. After all, my freezer is full of beans and if I eat another broccoli spear, I swear to god I'll end up looking like an oompa loompa.

At home I have ditched my courgette plant. Started out well but the last 6 courgettes have all rotted after reaching around 3 inches. It also looks unsightly on the patio and we have a party Saturday so binned it. Next year will grow them on the allotment.

Spring cabbage coming along nicely as is the Chard. Neither will be ready to plant out for 2 weeks yet. Chard is looking great, the bright yellow will be nice.

No ripe tomatos although one is slightly pink, but that could be because its embarrassed.

Chili's fab.....

Now, before I sign off, this is a couple of pictures of Alex, who is stood by the sunflower he planted earlier in the year, it was 6 inches high at the time....




And for perspective, this is the dung movement we did today....


No comments: