Monday 21 May 2007

A nice sunny day yesterday at the allotment, although I only had a few of hours to spend there.

Mainly did weeding which was becoming a little out of hand, the surrounding area around my plot is very overgrown and looks like I'm going to have to buy a petrol brushcutter to control it. Can borrow off other people but dont want to be asking them all the time.

Thinned out my carrots, or what remains of them as alot have either not germinated at all, or have been even by the slugs. I forgot to pellet them but have done so now. Sowed some Spinach in the half row of missing carrots as this will grow fast and we eat lots of it.

Weeded the enclosed brassicas which really are growing fast. Have only lost 1 complete broccoli to slug damage and as I have 15 plants, not too worried. Re-pelleted the enclosure, I have no problem using pellets to kill slugs, it's the only non-organic thing I've used so far.

Broad Beans are now all flowering, in fact the second row which I sowed direct have caught the home grown seeds up so I may get these all at once. I have pods on most which are only about 2 inches long at the moment, but should be able to harvest some fairly soon.

Early spuds not flowered yet so looks like I have a little while to wait before I can get any of these.

Spinach is growing really fast, I can harvest this now I think, but will let them establish a little more first. Have a full row and a half now and Mrs Sebbster loves it so she will be happy.

Main Crop pots are mostly all through now, already earthed up and they were planted 8 inch down so no need to worry about them.

Sowed half a row of Savoy cabbage, had the seeds so put them in but I'm not overly keen on them. Will see how they grow and use it as experience. Saw alot of cabbage whites around the allotments so they will need covering.

Sowed a row of Swede's.

At home, 3 growbags in action. 1 full of salad onions and 1 Courgette plant, 1 has 2 tomato's (Burpless Tasty Green) and a few lettuces and the other will be planted with 2 cucumbers and a chili plant.

Set 2 trays of runner beans last week and already 6-8 inch high. They do look a little leggy but shouldn't be as plenty of light and warmth. Wont be long before I put these out as my little greenhouse cannot house a quick grower for long.

Curly Kale is all showing.

Potted 2 Comfrey plants which I received a few days ago. This stuff grows very very fast so I'm not sure whether I'll plant it in the open on the allotment or in a big tub.

Lettuce covered in Greenfly so sprayed them all with washing-up liquid water.

No comments: