Monday 10 September 2007

Today did a bit more weeding and planted out 2 rows of Chard. So the picture here is pretty much all winter veg - From right to left - Swede's, Chard, Curly Kale, Beetroot, Chard, Perpetual Spinach and Carrots.

Land is looking a little more full now although the picture doesn't show the spare space where the potatoes were.
Harvest some more Calabrese, runners, Sprouts for dinner. The runners are tasting stringy now, no idea why I'm not leaving them on the plant to let grow, picking them quite young but not tasting very good.

Carrots are getting some slug damage so I'm going to lift all good sizes at the weekend and put into sand for storage.

I also plan to erect a net and plant out the Spring Cabbage which are at 2 leaf stage so can be put out ok.

The new carrot bed, top left of pic is growing ok although
germination doesn't seem all that great. I remember thinking the same when I last sowed out so will give them some time.

The Turnips, middle bed, are almost ready to pick and use. Will sow some more at the weekend these grow very quickly.

The top right bed are Sprouts and calabrese, both of which are giving a great harvest.

Messed up on my sprouts as I planted out an early variety without realising. I am having to pick some now as they are blowing, I only hope enough will be left for winter.

No comments: